Wednesday 31 July 2013

Last day | Ballot closes 5pm today


The ballot to decide the order of Labour's candidates for next year's MEP elections closes at 5pm today.

This brings to an end eight weeks of voting and several months of campaigning.

Thank you to my campaign team who have worked tirelessly to engage as many members across the region in this process as possible. We have made thousands of phone calls and mailed thousands of leaflets.

Whatever the result there are two things I can say at this stage:

1. I am incredibly proud of the campaign that we have run. My campaign has made contact with thousands of members across the region.

I wanted to make sure my campaign reached out and engaged members right across the region and involved them in this process. I know we have done that.

I also wanted to involve members in my campaign and that has happened. I am grateful for the efforts of so many volunteers who have given an hour of their time here and there, many week in week out.
This has been a team effort and above all it has been really enjoyable. So, to everyone who has helped and supported my campaign, thank you.

2. All our focus must now move to preparing for the elections next May. These are important elections for our region, for the country and for Labour. It is vital we elect as many Labour MEPs in the East Midlands as possible, to fight for the jobs and investment we need.

I am looking forward to campaigning across our region between now and next May and working hard to elect Labour MEPs to speak up for our region in Europe.